You already know about my love of all things s’mores.
But here’s something I haven’t told you (for fear that you won’t be my friend anymore): I am a fiercely competitive individual. Once, when I was about eight years old, I convinced my opponent (and, yeah, I guess she was my friend) in Monopoly that I could build hotels on any of my properties without owning all three of the same color block. By the end, she owed me $8000. I know, despicable, right?
Don’t say anything yet. We haven’t even talked about one of my favorite games of all time: Taboo. I pretty much turn into a monster whenever I play this game. I am that girl. Yeah, the girl who is blaring out all these random words that don’t even relate to the description because she doesn’t trust anyone to describe the target word besides herself and is hoping one of these words she’s screaming out will somehow hit the mark. And then she swears profusely when she doesn’t get it right. Quite. Obnoxious.
Though, in my defense, my scream-out-every-possible-word strategy does often work. And, top secret tip: People always crack up when the target word is “bimbo.” Like, every single time. So, every time the person giving the hints starts laughing, I shout, “bimbo!” Pretty sure my success rate is at least 1%.
But, back to the whole competitive thing. Even though evidence points to the contrary, I’m not actually telling you incriminating stories about myself just for the sake of it. I’m actually building up to the fact that I developed this recipe for the “incredibly easy” category of the Dallas Morning News Holiday Cookie Contest! My awesome friend Alexa, who is from Dallas and thus, super in the know about these things, told me about the contest, and my competitive side immediately started rearing its ugly head.
Unfortunately, it found its enemy in my procrastinating self, and thus, I may or may not have started thinking about this recipe a couple of nights ago. Sooo I’m not getting my hopes up. I am, however, quite enjoying these bars. Graham cracker crust + marshmallowy rice krispies + melted chocolate = love.
S’mores Rice Krispie Squares
Yield: 1 9×13 pan (About 18 large squares)
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 24 graham cracker squares, crushed)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 cups Rice Krispies (or any rice cereal)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup sugar, and melted butter. Press into 9 x 13 pan and bake for 7 minutes.
- While crust is baking, combine corn syrup and sugar in saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until sugar dissolves completely and mixture begins to boil.
- Remove mixture from heat and thoroughly combine with the rice cereal.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly on the graham cracker crust, then press rice krispie mixture on top.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is solid, cut into squares, and enjoy!