Let’s discuss something that is probably weighing heavily on your minds. Couldn’t I have invented a better name than “GuaCrazy Dip?” Possibly.
BUT. Could this dip taste any more amazing? I’m going to say . . . not a chance.
Before I get into the many, many layers (okay, just three) of this dip, let’s talk about the reason behind this madness. Not that I necessarily had such a great reason when I ate THE ENTIRE BOWL(!!!!) this afternoon. Oh man. You know how they say that the truth will set you free? Not always the case. That confession really just depressed me.
But anyway. The real reason that I created this beast of a dip is because my hometown basketball team, the Wichita State Shockers, made it to the FINAL FOUR, BABY!!!!!! Oh yeahhhh. That’s right, tonight starting at 5:09 Central time we will play angry against Louisville and hopefully emerge as victors.
In honor of this special occasion, I decided to host a small watching party for my sad displaced Wichita friends currently residing in Dallas. I currently know three people that fit those criteria, bringing the grand total tomorrow to . . . four. Woohoo!
Seriously, though, this is pretty much the perfect ratio of people to food. Speaking of which, I really wanted to kick it up a notch for game day, so I decided to create a dip to end all dips, which led me to my GuaCrazy Dip. You see, ever since I’ve moved to Dallas, I have been on a ridiculous guacamole kick. Like, I make it every week without fail. Sometimes twice, or three times, or MORE. Today, for instance, I’ve already made three batches.
But, since the theme of my blog is, basically, indulgence, I decided to add my ultimate luxury: Cheese. Lots of it. In the form of a layer of goat cheese directly on top of a guacamole base . . . AND THEN. Topped off with warm, creamy queso! Oh my. Yep, it’s all the fuel I need to yell, “SHOCK LOUISVILLE!” tonight at the top of my lungs. I know, I’m a really fun person to be around during basketball games. Keep Calm and Shock On.
GuaCrazy Dip (Queso Layer adapted from Homesick Texan)
Yield: Enough for about 4 hungry people
Guacamole/Goat Cheese Layer
- 2 avocados
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium sized tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ½ a lime, juiced
- ½ cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combination of Monterrey Jack and Sharp Cheddar)
- ½ a block (4 oz total) cream cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Guacamole/Goat Cheese Layer
- Peel, seed, and place avocados into a medium-sized glass bowl. Add in cumin and sea salt, then mash together. Add in tomato, cilantro, and lime juice, and mix all together. Place layer of goat cheese crumbles on top.
- Melt butter in saucepan on medium-low heat, then cook onions until translucent (about 5 minutes). Whisk the flour into the butter until dissolved.
- Add cream and cook on medium until sauce is thick (about 5 minutes). Stir in the tomatoes.
- Turn heat to low and add shredded cheese by ¼ cup, stirring all the while until the cheese is melted. Stir in the cream cheese. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over the goat cheese layer and ENJOY. Ideally, you should try to refrain from mashing your face into this dip . . . but I won’t blame you if you don’t succeed.